WITCH CRAFTS

WITCH CRAFTS

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

ELEGANT BEASTS

Hi All,
Here are some more of my "Elegant Beasts" dolls. They are all made from bird skulls.


They are all cloth stump dolls.  This one I call "Countess Dowager" because she reminded me of Maggie Smith's character from Downton Abby.



I made these dolls a few months ago for the fiber show in Houston, but I'm behind on posting them.

This one is the "Black Queen"

These dolls are all about 15-17 inches tall. Most of them are made with chicken skulls. I fill in most of the skull with paper clay and Apoxie Sculpt, and add the eyes.

Here is "Lady Peacock".



After going through so many skulls, I finally made a mold of one and cast some of them out of paper clay.


I call this one "Mourning Bird"


This doll is based on a character from the movie "Crimson Peak" (a gothic horror movie by Guillermo del Toro). She was the ghost of the mother of the main character.


For this one, I used a turkey skull. I didn't add eyes for her, but left her more "skull-like".
Enjoy!
A.B.

6 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh, they are all so amazing. Where in the world did you get skulls. I once found a bird skull, but my grandson took it for his "medicine bag".

Arley said...

Hi Carol, Thanks, I'm glad you like them. I got the bird skulls on Ebay. I think I paid about $20-25.

Zia Joey said...

Wow Arley, these are so wonderful. Love, love the characters and the costuming is grand, as always.

Arley said...

Thanks Maria!

Anonymous said...

i love them! My favorite is "Mourning Bird" but i like them all!
Bird skulls are really light though, is it hard to put clay on, without braking them?

Arley said...

Hi Olivia, I give the skulls a few coats of white glue first. I also cover any large "holes" with paper towels & glue. I usually squirt some glue into the head cavity where the brain was. It's a long process.