WITCH CRAFTS

WITCH CRAFTS

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

ANOTHER "VOODOO QUEEN" & MERMAID

Hi All,
A customer asked for another "Marie Lavaeu" candlestick doll. And, I was commissioned to make a white mermaid doll.

Here's the "Voodoo Queen from New Orleans":


I followed pretty much the same way I did the first one. I was able to use most of the original fabrics. She's holding her velvet pouch of potions.


Like the first one, I made the little hanging voodoo dolls made out of muslin and stained with gray & brown ink.


Here's the White Mermaid, which hangs on a wall. The customer asked for pearls, so I embroidered all the pearls that would fit on her!


Unfortunately, I'm not a good enough photographer to photograph an all-white doll. The lighting I used turned her hair a dingy yellow! (But, she really has white hair.) I like how the hair defies gravity- like it's floating in water  (very easy to do, I found out, by adding a "hair pad" on top of the head and felting the mohair into it -- and using a lot of hair spray!)



This customer also liked pale blue, and couldn't decide if she wanted it white or sea foam blue. In the end, I made her all white, with pale blue fins.


Have fun! 

3 comments:

Northbrook Designs said...

Both of these beautiful dolls are so unique. The Voodoo Queen, has a seriously hypnotic look. As for that mermaid...wow. She is a stunner Arley. She's beautiful. I have plans for mermaids this year, fingers crossed.

Arley said...

Wow Romona, what a nice thing to say. Good luck on your mermaid!

SFM Cloth dolls With Attitude! said...

Your mermaid, like everything you make is so stunningly beautiful and makes a wonderful statement about just WHO she is! Excellent work! I'd love to rummage through your studio! Your costuming is to die for! I'd love to do a class with you Arley! We could have such fun, but I think you would out-do me for sure! My finish leaves a lot to be desired, but when I look at your spectacular work I am inspired to do much better. Thanks for being the best!