WITCH CRAFTS

WITCH CRAFTS

Monday, September 18, 2017

BABY ZOMBIE DOLL

Hi All,
Just made a Zombie Doll. I bought a porcelain doll from the thrift store and "zombified" it.


 These are so much fun to make! And, you can do it fast. I made this in 2 days!

I bought this doll for $5. Here's what she looked like when I started:


Isn't she sweet?? (Her hair looked better, but I started distressing her wig before I remembered to take a "before" picture.)

The first step is to strip the doll down to nothing and rip off the wig. 

Next, I painted a base coat of gray acrylic.


Because I wanted to use a crackle medium on the face, I needed to paint the color that would show under the cracks (gray & black).

Now, I have never had much luck with crackle mediums. I've tried several brands, and either they don't work at all, or they have tiny, little cracks. I experimented on the back of the legs and had the same results as before -- not good.

So, I tried Kroma Crackle (which I bought for a Michael DeMing class and never used) Kroma Crackle dries white, so I didn't add any color to it. You have to paint it on real thick.

This is the result I got:


Not exactly cracks -- more like a "lizard/leprosy" texture. But, hey, it works. I went over the whole face with some stains to add more color. When it was all dry, I went over everything with several coats of matte medium.

For her dress, I dipped it in a bath of black and gray dye. After it dried, I tore and shredded the lace. Then, dripped some brown and red stain on it.

I glued the wig back on and hacked it up with scissors. Then, I attacked the synthetic hair with my heat gun.


Now, I have a new zombie doll to add to my Halloween yard.

I'm really having fun altering porcelain dolls. You may remember I made a "Demon Baby" a few years ago:


And, here is a Day of the Dead doll I made at Thomas Ashman's class:


So, for a fast and easy Halloween doll, try altering a porcelain doll from the thrift store!!!

Have fun!

4 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I bet altering this doll was fun. I think I'll check out the Goodwill store.

thanks for the tips on how you did it.

Northbrook Designs said...

You always have the best blog posts. I love to see where your muse took you each time. She's great Arley, I bet the doll manufacturer never expected to see this side to their doll..lol

Arley said...

Aw, thanks ladies! I'm glad you liked it.

Unknown said...

Spooktacular, Halloween is my favorite holiday these babies would be a way of repurposing dolls