WITCH CRAFTS

WITCH CRAFTS

Monday, September 18, 2017

BABY ZOMBIE DOLL

Hi All,
Just made a Zombie Doll. I bought a porcelain doll from the thrift store and "zombified" it.


 These are so much fun to make! And, you can do it fast. I made this in 2 days!

I bought this doll for $5. Here's what she looked like when I started:


Isn't she sweet?? (Her hair looked better, but I started distressing her wig before I remembered to take a "before" picture.)

The first step is to strip the doll down to nothing and rip off the wig. 

Next, I painted a base coat of gray acrylic.


Because I wanted to use a crackle medium on the face, I needed to paint the color that would show under the cracks (gray & black).

Now, I have never had much luck with crackle mediums. I've tried several brands, and either they don't work at all, or they have tiny, little cracks. I experimented on the back of the legs and had the same results as before -- not good.

So, I tried Kroma Crackle (which I bought for a Michael DeMing class and never used) Kroma Crackle dries white, so I didn't add any color to it. You have to paint it on real thick.

This is the result I got:


Not exactly cracks -- more like a "lizard/leprosy" texture. But, hey, it works. I went over the whole face with some stains to add more color. When it was all dry, I went over everything with several coats of matte medium.

For her dress, I dipped it in a bath of black and gray dye. After it dried, I tore and shredded the lace. Then, dripped some brown and red stain on it.

I glued the wig back on and hacked it up with scissors. Then, I attacked the synthetic hair with my heat gun.


Now, I have a new zombie doll to add to my Halloween yard.

I'm really having fun altering porcelain dolls. You may remember I made a "Demon Baby" a few years ago:


And, here is a Day of the Dead doll I made at Thomas Ashman's class:


So, for a fast and easy Halloween doll, try altering a porcelain doll from the thrift store!!!

Have fun!

3 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I bet altering this doll was fun. I think I'll check out the Goodwill store.

thanks for the tips on how you did it.

Romona King said...

You always have the best blog posts. I love to see where your muse took you each time. She's great Arley, I bet the doll manufacturer never expected to see this side to their doll..lol

Arley said...

Aw, thanks ladies! I'm glad you liked it.