WITCH CRAFTS

WITCH CRAFTS

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hoffman Challenge doll

Hi All,
I've been working on my latest doll, "The Opera Singer" for the Hoffman challenge. I've been playing with fabrics and trying to figure out my color scheme. Here's a "working" sketch of where I'm going with this character:
 Here's another work in progress photo. At this stage, I've made the skirt & bodice top, which will serve as the "base" for the rest of the costume. The skirt is satin fabric with a self-border (it was a JoAnn's Fabric from years ago when they had their "India" line of fabrics). The top is dubione silk. I patterned the bodice like a period corset, so there's 11 pieces to it (I top-stitched each seam so the seam lines would stand out-- like if they had boning in them).

 
Did you notice I use the neck as a pin cushion?
 
Okay, now that I have the basic costume on the body, I get to do my favorite part of designing the costume -- playing with trims & accent fabrics. I start by pulling every possible trim out from my stash that I could see using on the costume. Then, I start pinning and draping things on the form, "auditioning" every piece to see if it will work.
 
Here's what that looks like:
 
Now, I'm sure to you, this looks like a mess! But, for me, this is when everything starts clicking, and I get real excited to finish it.
 
The front & side panels on the skirt are part of the Hoffman Challenge fabrics. The whole costume is designed around these fabrics.
 
I'll show more of the Hoffman fabric on the next post.


2 comments:

The Stitch Fiddler Bethann Scott said...

Very interesting...love the blue fabrics and your working sketch is awesome. Can't wait to see your progress.

Zia Joey said...

I am anticipating another awesome doll Arley! I will keep watching.

Cheers.